1/08/2014

One Pot Chicken & Chorizo


I've finally found it! That go-to recipe that takes nearly no time or skill to prepare, yet provides all the comfort and deliciousness of your mother's or grandmother's homemade fill-in-the-blank.

Seriously, all you need to make this dish are the knife skills necessary to slice chorizo and tomatoes. And the prep? Well, I've turned it into a bit of a race, but I can usually finish prepping this meal in the time it takes the oven to heat up. It's magical, I'm telling you.

So, without further ado, here it is. (You can thank me later ... and then I'll pass the thanks on to my good friend Jess who introduced me to this heaven on a plate).


Ingredients:


Olive oil
1 sprig of rosemary
4 cloves of garlic (the original recipe says unpeeled, but I like to peel mine)
4 large chicken legs with skin on
150g (5oz) chorizo, cut into 5mm (1/4in) slices
Juice of 1/2 lemon
250g (8oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (I now realize I've somehow never seen or used this ingredient)
Baguette or bread with a crispy crust

Please bear with me, this is my first attempt at food photography.

Directions:


  • Heat the oven to 200º C or 390º F.
  • Drizzle the base of a casserole (that will hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer) with a little olive oil and scatter with the rosemary leaves and garlic cloves.
  • Add the chicken and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • Tuck the chorizo around the chicken.
  • Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
  • Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
  • Add the tomatoes and mix well to coat the chicken and tomatoes with the oil.
  • Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and the tomatoes have softened.
  • Scatter the basil leaves before serving (or don't, I don't feel this is necessary).
  • Serve the chicken with tomatoes and use the bread to sop up the pan juice.

The last part of the directions is incredibly important! Dipping the bread in the pan juices just might be the best part of this dish (that or the chorizo. Or the chicken. Oh I give up, I just love it all). And because we can't get enough, we usually eat this dish with steamed broccoli and dip that in the sauce too.


Another thing I love about this recipe is how easily it can be modified to serve the number of people you're cooking for. As written, this recipe serves four people, but it can easily be cut in half for two. Though I must admit I've never ever ever done that because using four chicken legs means that both the husband and I get a delicious lunch the next day.

Let me know if you try this and what you think!

The recipe was originally found here, on www.easyliving.co.uk/recipes.



3 comments:

  1. This IS a terrific recipe--made for us the night we first met Philippe's parents--by none other than the beautiful Brittany! Loved it and the whole evening. Didn't you use thyme when you made this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I didn't use thyme when I made this for you, but you can certainly substitute fresh thyme for the rosemary if that's what you have on hand.

      Delete
  2. Picture #2 reminds me of how my first stamppot was presented.

    ReplyDelete